A settlement was signed where CNN has agreed to pay $76 million in back pay to union employees.
The agreement with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) is the largest monetary deal in their history.
The labor dispute has been going on for over ten years.
🚨Urgent: Tell the Senate to STRIKE DOWN Impeachment! Sign the Petition, we need your signature!
To Add Your Name, Enter Your Email:
It involved union technicians from Team Video Services (TVS) whose contract was terminated by CNN.
CNN went on to hire non-union employees.
Variety reported that the labor dispute began in 2003 when the media company fired a group of unionized subcontractors working as technicians and in other support roles for Team Video Services before hiring non-union employees to replace those workers.
The action sparked a litigation war between the National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians and Communications Workers of America that has lasted more than a decade.
More than 300 people will take part in the settlement.
The NLRB, a federal agency that allows employees to unionize in the workplace, said in a statement that $76 million is more than what the agency typically sees in a back pay enforcement case.
“The settlement demonstrates the Board’s continued commitment to enforcing the law and ensuring employees who were treated unfairly obtain the monetary relief ordered by the Board,” general counsel Peter B. Robb said.
This is the second recent lawsuit settlement by CNN.
The network ended an ongoing dispute with Covington Catholic Student Nick Sandmann.
From The Daily Wire:
Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann reportedly has received a settlement from CNN after suing the far-left network for smearing him last year.
“CNN agreed Tuesday to settle a lawsuit with Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann,” Fox 19 reported. “The amount of the settlement was not made public during a hearing at the federal courthouse in Covington.”
Sandmann also filed lawsuits against The Washington Post and NBC Universal, each for $250 million or over, and is reportedly planning to “sue Gannett, owners of The Enquirer.”
In an interview on Fox News last year, McMurtry told anchor Sandra Smith, “Well, what CNN’s tagline is facts first. And what we believe their reporting was in this circumstance was lies first; cover-up second, and facts not yet determined by that organization. So the difference between this lawsuit and the other lawsuit that we have filed is that CNN is a very significant media organization with a much broader reach than say the Washington Post. It has Twitter followers of 41 million people. It published four videos. Nine online articles that were tweeted out. So that’s millions and millions and millions of repetitions of the lies and falsehoods that CNN spread.”
In early February, Sandmann’s lawyers released a list of 54 individuals and news organizations that they sent letters to instructing them to preserve evidence for potential lawsuits.
The list includes:
The Washington Post
The New York Times
Cable News Network, Inc. (CNN)
National Public Radio
Atlantic Media Inc.
Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.
Diocese of Covington
Diocese of Lexington
Archdiocese of Louisville
Diocese of Baltimore
Ana Cabrera (CNN)
Sara Sidner (CNN)
Erin Burnett (CNN)
S.E. Cupp (CNN)
Elliot C. McLaughlin (CNN)
Amanda Watts (CNN)
Emanuella Grinberg (CNN)
Michelle Boorstein (Washington Post)
Cleve R. Wootson Jr. (Washington Post)
Antonio Olivo (Washington Post)
Joe Heim (Washington Post)
Michael E. Miller (Washington Post)
Eli Rosenberg (Washington Post)
Isaac Stanley-Becker (Washington Post)
Kristine Phillips (Washington Post)
Sarah Mervosh (New York Times)
Emily S. Rueb (New York Times)
Maggie Haberman (New York Times)
David Brooks (New York Times)
Andrea Mitchell (NBC/MSNBC)
Savannah Guthrie (NBC)
Joy Reid (MSNBC)
Chuck Todd (NBC)
Elisha Fieldstadt (NBC)
Eun Kyung Kim