Prince Charles has become the latest major public figure to test positive for the coronavirus.
As the Washington Examiner reports, the royal family announced that Charles, who is next in line as an heir to the throne behind Queen Elizabeth II, was exhibiting symptoms and was subsequently tested for the COVID-19.
“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus,” a statement from the family read. “He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.”
Breaking: Prince Charles, who is 71-years-old and next in line to the British throne, has tested positive for Covid-19.
His wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, has tested negative.
They are self-isolating for the next 14 days,
All this per a statement from @ClarenceHouse
— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) March 25, 2020
— Kim Hjelmgaard (@khjelmgaard) March 25, 2020
As a cautionary measure, Charles’ wife, Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, was also tested for the coronavirus but was found to not have contracted it.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks,” the family’s statement read.
“In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland,” a spokesperson added per ABC News. “The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.”
Do You Like This Artice? Give Us Feedback 👇
— Ben Lewis (@benlewismedia) March 25, 2020
Here’s more, from ABC News:
A palace source told ABC News that doctors who examined Prince Charles have it is not likely his diagnosis will “escalate into a more serious case.”
Charles’ last public engagement was on March 12, when he was the guest of honor at The City of London Corporation and the Australian High Commission fundraising dinner at Mansion House, the home and office of the Lord Mayor of London.
Charles had been alone at his Birkhall home in Scotland until Sunday, when he was joined by Camilla, according to ABC News royal contributor Omid Scobie. Charles and Camilla are living separately in Birkhall while Charles recovers.
“Charles is in good spirits and doing some work. He’s not bed-bound and is up and about,” said Scobie. “There’s a small team working with him at the moment but they’re remaining isolated from him.”
Both of Charles’s sons, Princes William and Harry, and Queen Elizabeth have checked in with him, a palace source told ABC News.