OPINION | This article contains opinion. AnalyzingAmerica is licensed to publish this content.
Former Republican Congressman Joe Walsh has officially suspended his 2020 presidential primary campaign against President Trump.
“I’m suspending my campaign, but our fight against the Cult of Trump is just getting started. I’m committed to doing everything I can to defeat Trump and his enablers this November,” Walsh said in a tweet on Thursday.
"I’m suspending my campaign, but our fight against the Cult of Trump is just getting started."
— ABC News (@ABC) February 7, 2020
ABC News reports Walsh faced a number of issues during his presidential campaign, including fundraising and an inability to tap into Trump’s base:
Walsh faced fundraising hurdles and obstacles from the Republican Party from the start. A number of state parties canceled their primaries and other nominating contests in an effort to protect Trump from the fate of George H.W. Bush, the last one-term president who faced a serious primary challenger and subsequently lost his reelection bid. Last year, the Republican National Committee issued a nonbinding resolution to declare the party’s undivided support for Trump.
Walsh also failed to get his name on the ballot in some states, including Vermont, Mississippi and Walsh’s home state of Illinois.
At times, Walsh struggled to differentiate himself as a viable Trump alternative. He courted controversy on social media in the years before his presidential run and was frequently pressed about those comments while on the campaign trail.
Joe Walsh ended his sad, humiliating bid for the Republican nomination today.
Let’s remember the highlights of his campaign, like when he asked this GOP Iowa caucus if they *really want* “4 more years of @realDonaldTrump?”
Listen to the response:
— Benny (@bennyjohnson) February 7, 2020
The Washington Examiner reports Walsh had a turbulent political career that most recently saw him show a willingness to fight for Trump in2016 followed by a decision to fight against him in 2020.
Sooo… Joe Walsh dropped out of the Republican primary saying the entire GOP is now a "cult" for Trump.. not that he's a nobody running against an incumbant President who's delivering on all his 2016 promises including record economic numbers… but that it's a "cult"…got it.
— Tim Young (@TimRunsHisMouth) February 7, 2020
“Walsh, 57, a former one-term Illinois congressman elected as a Republican in the Tea Party wave of 2010, underwent a political evolution over the years, from failed pro-choice congressional and statehouse runs in the 1990s to running as a pro-lifer with no exceptions when losing his seat in 2012. Now, he has completed the journey from exclaiming he would be ‘grabbing my musket’ if Hillary Clinton defeated Trump in 2016 to challenging the president in 2020,” the Washington Examiner reports.
On November 8th, I'm voting for Trump.
On November 9th, if Trump loses, I'm grabbing my musket.
— Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) October 26, 2016
Walsh appeared on CNN early on Friday morning where he confirmed he was suspending his campaign, even tossing a nod to Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.
“I would rather have a socialist in the White House than a dictator,” he said during an interview.
JUST NOW: " I would rather have a socialist in the White House than a dictator."
— John Berman (@JohnBerman) February 7, 2020
That explains why no one in GOP took Joe seriously. He's bitter and can't suck it up and move on. Bye, Felicia! And @realDonaldTrump is STILL @POTUS for next 5 yrs. @realDonaldTrump supporters aren't cult-we're pro-life, free enterprise, religious liberty & pro-America. https://t.co/YxKsTnzkKh
— Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee) February 7, 2020